It is possible to connect to the Scomis Hosted Application Service (Terminal Server) using an Apple Macbook from home or in school using the Microsoft Remote Desktop client.
- NOTE: Capita SIMS .net requires Microsoft Office Products for reporting, it is therefore the responsibility of all schools to ensure that all users and devices are covered for remote use rights by having a valid Microsoft Office 2016 Licence (Standard Edition Minimum).
For instructions on configuring iPads or other iOS devices please use the guidance provided on this FAQ – http://faq.scomis.org/kb13251/
If you are looking for printing trouble shooting please read this NOTE.
To connect to the Scomis Hosted Application Service (Terminal Server) on an OSX device please follow the below steps:
- Open the Apple App Store and search for ’Microsoft Remote Desktop’, then download and install it.
2. Click on Preferences, then click on ‘+’ to add a new gateway.
4. Click on the red dot in the top left of the screen (in OS X) to close the window.
5. Click on the ‘New’ button to create a new connection.
6. Populate the fields with the required information as shown in the image below:
7. Click on Session and tick the box labelled “Forward Printing Devices”. This will enable printing in SIMS. Please read this NOTE.
8. Click on the red dot to close the window and save the settings.
NOTE: Make sure on the Mac you go into System Preferences – Printers & Scanners – set the Default printer drop down to your main printer. (Otherwise you may not have a default printer in SIMS).
9. The RDP client home screen will now list all the connections that have been created, you can create as many as required.
10. Double click on the desired connection and login using your normal login details as provided by Scomis.
You can also configure the connections to allow access to your local drives from with the Hosted Application Service (Terminal Server) session:
- Highlight the appropriate connection and click on Edit, then click on the Redirection button.
- Ensure that Enable folder redirection is ticked, then click on the ‘+’ button to launch the Add Local Folder window.
3.Click on the down arrow next to Path and navigate to an appropriate folder on your local PC where you will store files to be uploaded to and downloaded from the Hosted Apllication service (Terminal Server) session.
4.Click on OK and the window should now show all local folders accessible from Terminal Server using File Manager.
5.Click on the red dot again to save you settings and close the window.
Please note: If this FAQ is applied to a private home computer, Scomis is unable to provide support.
Connecting to Apple.rdp.scomis.org is different from standard Windows servers in that it is more driver dependant. So if the print driver is not recognised by the Apple server the printer will not show up.
We can work around this by adding drivers on to the server, HOWEVER this will be reviewed on a case by case basis and with reasonable endeavours.
Also Make sure you have “Forward Printing Devices” ticked as mentioned here.
Reviewed on 02/03/2018