It is possible to connect to the Scomis Hosted Application Service ie hosted SIMS using Apple IOS Android devices and Android devices from home or in school using the Microsoft Remote Desktop client.
To connect to Scomis Hosted SIMS using Apple iOS Android devices please follow the below steps:
Update November 2016 – there have been significant updates to the Remote Desktop Application on iOS. Some screens may differ slightly to what is shown below however it should still work.
Update February 2016 – there may possibly be an issue when updating to the latest Microsoft RDP app for Apple IOS or Android devices – if you encounter connection issues, please uninstall the app, then reinstall following the process below.
1.Open the Apple App Store (for Mac / iOS devices) or the Google Playstore (for Android devices) and search for ’Microsoft Remote Desktop’, then download and install it.
2. You firstly need to configure a Gateway, click on the cog icon (Settings).
3.Select Gateways on the Settings Screen.
4. Select Add Remote Desktop Gateway on the Gateways screen.
5. Select Server name (Host name or IP address) on the Add Remote Desktop Gateway screen.
6. Enter either gw.scomis.org or gw-eclipse.rdp.scomis.org and click on Done.
7. Under User Name leave this to say Use desktop user account
8. You should then have gw.scomis.org or gw-eclipse.rdp.scomis.org listed in the Gateways screen, quit the settings menus by clicking Settings, then Done.
9. Click the addition symbol on the top right corner and chose Add Desktop – this has replaced PC or Server in the below picture.
10. Select PC Name – Host Name or IP address.
11. Enter apple.rdp.scomis.org as the PC name and click Done.
12. Select Add User Account.
13. Under username enter simsnet\ followed by your Hosted Services username. Important – Do NOT enter / save your hosted applications password here – this will present a security / data protection issue as it will enable anyone who gets hold of your device to log straight into your SIMS data without any logon credentials to enter. Click Save once you’ve entered your username only.
14. Click Desktop.
15. Click Save to create the connection to go back to the Create Connection Screen.
16. Press and hold on the newly created connection icon on the main screen which will show the following icons.
17. Please click the Cog in the bottom right hand corner. This will bring up a screen that will allow you to select Additional Options as shown below.
18. Under Additional Options you will need to assign the gateway you created earlier to your connection. This can be done by clicking Gateway and selecting your gateway from the list.
19. Once this has been done click Edit Desktop and Save. Then you will be able to connect. At this point you will be prompted for a password.
20. It is likely you will want to navigate the RDP session using touch screen mode rather than the default mouse pointer mode. To switch to Touch Screen mode, tap the connection bar. Then click the Touch Screen icon option to navigate in touch screen mode. To navigate using the mouse pointer, simply click the bar again and select the Mouse Pointer icon.