To add shared drives (shares) to your OSX desktop you will need to be connected to the network e.g. school or admin network.
You will also need to know the following:
- name of the computer you are connecting to (e.g. SERVER, SCOSERVER, ADMIN1) and
- the username and password you use to get access to the drive.
Once you have this information in Finder:
- Click Go – Connect to Server and enter the server address in the following format: computer name and share:
- You will likely have to enter your username and password at this point.
- Once this is done you will see the drive on your desktop.
- Open System Preferences and select Users & Groups
- With your username selected on the left, on the right hand panel click Login Items
- Click and drag the Drive icon from your Desktop into the login items panelNOTE – Make sure you have clicked the Padlock in the bottom left so you are able to make changes.
- Repeat this process to add move drives to your login.
- Now when you log in these drive will automatically show on your desktop when you log in to your Mac.
Reviewed on 02/03/2018