To connect to your hosted SIMS / FMS or other Scomis Hosted Application, whether at school or home, you need to download and install the following software –
Scomis Hosted Application Connector (v6.16)
|Windows 10||Scomis aim to test the Hosted Applications on the Latest versions of Microsoft Windows 10. Scomis will support Windows 10 in line with the published support dates for the Windows 10 Operating System – https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/products/windows-10-home-and-pro.
Where Windows 10 has fallen out of support, Scomis will not provide connector support for unsupported versions of Windows 10. Please upgrade Windows 10 to a supported/newer version.
|Some users report initial connection problems that can be solved following this http://faq.scomis.org/kb11685|
|Windows Server 2016/2019||Users can connect from a Server Operating System. Scomis do not support nested remote desktop sessions, i.e. a user connecting to a schools server then connecting from there to the Scomis Hosted Application Service.|
|Apple OSX / iOS||For Apple Macbook Pro, Macbook Air please see: https://faq.scomis.org/kb11320/
For Ipad, Ipad Air & other Apple devices please see https://faq.scomis.org/kb13251/
|Android Devices||For Android-based mobile devices and tablets please follow https://faq.scomis.org/kb16064/|
|ChromeOS Devices||Modern Chromebooks are compatible with Android apps, we recommend using the Microsoft Remote Desktop Client client from the Google PlayStore and following the instructions for the Microsoft Remote Desktop Client https://faq.scomis.org/kb25671/.|
|Web Browser||Microsoft Remote Desktop Web Client is software that will allow access to Scomis Hosted Applications via a web browser. Please note that functionality will be limited – see https://faq.scomis.org/kb23191/ for full details.|
- NOTE: Capita SIMS .net requires Microsoft Office Products for reporting, it is the responsibility of all schools to ensure that all users and devices are covered for remote use rights by having a valid Microsoft Office 2016 Licence (Standard Edition Minimum).
Unsupported Versions of Windows
Please see below a list of Windows Versions which are no longer supported by Scomis (these are no longer updated by Microsoft).
Scomis may stop access from these version in future so please keep as up to date possible.
|Windows 10||If your Windows 10 build is 1507, 1511, 1607, 1703, 1709, 1803, 1809 or 1903 you should upgrade to the latest version –
To see if your computer can be updated to the latest version of Windows 10 you could use the Update Assistant:
Windows Upgrade Assistant
|Windows 7||Windows 7 is no longer a supported operating system as of January 2020.|
|Windows Vista||Windows Vista is no longer a supported operating system.|
|Windows XP||Windows XP is no longer a supported operating system.|
|Windows Server 2003||Windows Server 2003 is no longer a supported operating system.|
If you are using any of these versions of Windows your computer could be at risk of being compromised. You may not be able to access SIMS and your data could be at risk.
You can find currently a list of supported versions of Microsoft Windows on Microsoft’s website.
If you have been directed to this FAQ to resolve a problem please be aware you need to be an “administrator” in Windows to install the software so you may need a member of your IT Support team to install this update for you onto your computer.
School ICT Staff should read the following before deploying the application:
- Scomis Hosted Application Connector – Upgrading / Deploying
- Scomis Hosted Application Connector – Software Restriction Policies / Applocker
- Scomis Hosted Application Connector – Connectivity Requirements
- Scomis Hosted Application Connector – SWGfL School Connectivity Requirements
Related FAQs & Known Issues:
- Connection options on the new Hosted Application Connector
- Scomis Hosted Application Connector – Detected by Antivirus Application as a Trojan Virus or Malware
- Scomis Hosted Connection Version 6 – What’s New?
- Removing the Hosted Application Connector
- Scomis Hosted Application Connector – Slow Connector Logon
- Scomis Hosted Application Connector – Connection problem from Windows 8, 8.1 or RDP8 on Windows 7
- Windows 7 error relating to the SSL certificate – Some Windows 7 clients have been affected by this hotfix – please try installing the hotfix on one system to make sure it fixes the problem before deploying to your site.
- Windows Root Certificate Update – All Windows machines will need the Microsoft KB931125 Root Certificates Update applied, this is usually applied through Windows Updates, but can be downloaded separately from http://catalog.update.microsoft.com (Internet Explorer required)
- Description of the driverless printing solution – https://faq.scomis.org/kb3082/
Scomis Hosted Applications
- 5.00 – Initial release, Full MSI Version, HostedApps = 5.00 Bootstrap = 2013040401.
- 5.06 – Improved Connection testing routines.
- 5.10 – Seamless connectivity / New Connection tester application launched from help menu / Improved bootstrap.
- 5.30 – Carrier Neutral connectivity / Integrated Service Status.
- 5.40 – Resolved Windows 10 Creator update issue.
- 5.42 – Bug fixes for Windows 7 connectivity.
- 6.08 – Re-written version using .net Framework.
- 6.10 – Bug fixes for Windows 7 connectivity, added pre-authentication (password checking) and Always Use a gateway function.
- 6.16 – Changes to the way users connect to a collection, updated screen options including Remote App Mode.