To connect to your hosted SIMS / FMS or other Scomis Hosted Application, whether at school or at home, you need to download and install the following software –
(1) Scomis Hosted Application Connector (v6.10)
(2) Driverless Printing Client (v4.8.03)
|Windows 10||Tested from a clean installation of the Connector. Should you upgrade to Windows 10 and have any problems with the Connector please reinstall the Connector from the links above. The Scomis Hosted Applications Connector uses the Microsoft .net Framework, please ensure that you have a minimum of version 4.0 installed or enabled.
Please also refer to https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet to check whether your version of Windows 10 is still supported by Microsoft. Scomis will not provide connector support for machines on older unsupported versions of Windows 10.
Please upgrade to a supported/newer version.
|Some users report initial connection problems that can be solved following this http://faq.scomis.org/kb11685|
|Windows 7 SP1||Windows 7 will no longer be supported from January 2020 – customers are advised to upgrade to Windows 10. Scomis are not be able to guarantee connectivity from Windows 7 computers from this date and will not be able to provide diagnostics support.
Scomis Hosted Applications Connector uses the Microsoft .net Framework, please ensure that you have a minimum of version 4.0 installed or enabled.
|Windows Server 2016/2019||Whilst users can connect from this Server OS we do not support nested remote desktop sessions, i.e. a user connecting to schools server then connecting from there to the Scomis Hosted Application Service.|
|Apple OSX / iOS||For Apple Macbook Pro, Macbook Air please see: https://faq.scomis.org/kb11320/
For Ipad, Ipad Air & other Apple devices please see https://faq.scomis.org/kb13251/
|Android Devices||For Android based mobile devices and tablets please follow https://faq.scomis.org/kb16064/|
|ChromeOS Devices||Modern Chromebooks which are compatible with Android apps so we would recommend using the Microsoft Remote Desktop Client client from the Google PlayStore and following the instructions for the Microsoft Remote Desktop Client https://faq.scomis.org/kb16064/.|
|Web Browser||Microsoft Remote Desktop Web Client is software which will allow access to Scomis Hosted Applications via a web browser. Please note that functionality will be limited – see https://faq.scomis.org/kb23191/ for full details.|
- NOTE: Capita SIMS .net requires Microsoft Office Products for reporting, it is therefore the responsibility of all schools to ensure that all users and devices are covered for remote use rights by having a valid Microsoft Office 2016 Licence (Standard Edition Minimum).
Unsupported Client Computers
If you are using any of the operating systems below, you should consider upgrading or replace the equipment as soon as possible. Scomis may block access from these device. These operating systems could lead to disclosure of your data, since these operating systems no longer receive security updates from Microsoft.
|Windows 10||If your Windows 10 build is 1507, 1511, 1607, 1703 you should upgrade to the latest version – see https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/3159635/windows-10-update-assistant|
|Windows 7||Windows 7 will no longer be a supported operating system from January 2020|
|Windows Vista||Windows Vista is no longer a supported operating system.|
|Windows XP||Windows XP is no longer a supported operating system.|
|Windows Server 2003||Windows Server 2003 is no longer a supported operating system.|
If you have been directed to this FAQ to resolve a problem please be aware you need to be an “administrator” in Windows to install software so you may need a member of your IT Support team to install this update for you onto your computer.
School ICT Staff should read the following before deploying the application:
- Scomis Hosted Application Connector – Upgrading / Deploying
- Scomis Hosted Application Connector – Software Restriction Policies / Applocker
- Scomis Hosted Application Connector – Connectivity Requirements
- Scomis Hosted Application Connector – SWGfL School Connectivity Requirements
Related FAQs & Known Issues:
- Connection options on the new Hosted Application Connector
- Scomis Hosted Application Connector – Detected by Antivirus Application as a Trojan Virus or Malware
- Scomis Hosted Connection Version 6 – Whats New?
- Removing the Hosted Application Connector
- Scomis Hosted Application Connector – Slow Connector Logon
- Scomis Hosted Application Connector – Connection problem from Windows 8, 8.1 or RDP8 on Windows 7
- Printing Problems in Windows (Server 2008 Only) – The first step for printer troubleshooting should be to install the lastest Screwdrivers Driverless printing client using the links above.
- Windows 7 error relating to the ssl certificate – Some Windows 7 clients have been affected by this hotfix – please try installing the hotfix on one system to make sure it fixes the problem before deploying to your site.
- Windows Root Certificate Update – All Windows machines will need the Microsoft KB931125 Root Certificates Update applied, this is usually applied through Windows Updates, but can be downloaded separately from http://catalog.update.microsoft.com (Internet Explorer required)
- Description of the driverless printing solution – https://faq.scomis.org/kb3082/
Scomis Hosted Applications
- 5.00 – Initial release, Full MSI Version, HostedApps = 5.00 Bootstrap = 2013040401
- 5.06 – Improved Connection testing routines
- 5.10 – Seamless connectivity / New Connection tester application launched from help menu / Improved bootstrap
- 5.30 – Carrier Neutral connectivity / Integrated Service Status
- 5.40 – Resolved Windows 10 Creator update issue
- 5.42 – Bug fixes for Windows 7 connectivity
- 6.08 – Re-written version using .net Framework
- 6.10 – Bug fixes for Windows 7 connectivity, added pre-authentication (password checking) and Always Use a gateway functions.
Driverless Printing Client
- 4.7.06 –
- Added – – Support for Dynamic – Virtual Channels, which fixes connection – issues in RDSH and RemoteApp
- Fixed – Margin – issue with certain paper sizes in MS Office
- 4.8.0 –
- Added – Enhanced compression for print data, up to 6x faster printing
- Added – Switch – to reset printer defaults – after each print job
- Added – – Log rotation – and size management
- Fixed – Communication errors with Simplify – License Service
- Fixed – Services change logging modes without – restart
- Fixed Margin – and output issues
- Fixed Xerox printers – forcing wrong paper type
- Fixed Font selection – issues
- Fixed Font rotation – issues
- 4.8.02 – June 2015
- Improved embedding of temporary and subset fonts
- fixed possible crash when enumerating irregular fonts
- fixed issue were client logs could cause mstsc.exe to hang
- fixed possible BSOD on session logon
- fixed issue in Server 2012 were connecting an RDP virtual channel would cause an unrecoverable error
- fixed issue were logging could prevent a process from correctly exiting