Is there an error message or red/amber LED on the printer?
YES – Obtain printer make and model and approximate age
- Re-seat the printer cartridge(s) and ensure there are no paper jams
- Restart the printer
- If no difference download the manual to troubleshoot the exact problem
NO – As System Administrator login to the curriculum server (should be done by whomever is responsible for Curriculum network.
- Go to Start > Printers & Faxes > Right-click on the printer > Left-click ‘Properties’ > Go to the ‘Ports’ tab > Obtain the IP address and try to ping it
- If the ping is unsuccessful ensure the printers network cable is securely plugged in and if it is try a replacement cable, if using a Jet Direct box, ensure this hasn’t died
- If the ping is still unsuccessful check the printer hasn’t lost the IP address which it should be assigned – Consult the printer manual to do this and if the address has been wiped off the details can be re-entered as per the guide
- If the ping is successful try browsing to the web interface of the printer, i.e. http://10.99.99.99 to see if anything shows in the logs or the current printer status
- Finally try clearing any outstanding jobs and restarting the print spooler, if a test page then fails to print a log a call with the Scomis Service Desk.