This article is only relevant for schools on our hosted applications platform who have 3rd party software which links with SIMS and which Scomis do not currently host (eg – current commonly used applications in school are Nationwide Cashless Catering, ALPS)
Please see article http://faq.scomis.org/kb2170/ for a full list of third party applications which fit into the above category. This article also lists the 3rd party applications Scomis do host.
Please see here http://faq.scomis.org/kb4249/ to explain what the SIMS External Connector consists of.
A portal has been designed for the External Connector which allows the school to self-service their own requests. The portal can be accessed by those members of staff who have the ability to reset hosted platform passwords (using the User Management Tool).
The portal address is https://upgrades.scomis.org/external-connector
Please ensure the following:
- If data is sent to another company, ensure with them that the data is sent securely (e.g. HTTPS/SSL/Encrypted).
- Ensure that only the minimum required data is sent and that data will be securely stored.
- Ensure that you understand what the data will be used for and who can access this data.
- The 3rd party application will require a SIMS account to be created in order to authenticate the 3rd party access – ensure you do not give this user account more SIMS user permissions than what is required
- If data is transmitted to another system in the school, then ensure that this system is appropriately secured.
- If you have any doubts then please contact a data protection officer or log a call with the Scomis Service Desk.
Once you are sure that any data protection issues have been addressed, then the step by step process is as follows:
- Login to the portal. From there, Click the Request New Connector button and complete the form accordingly
- Ensure you have fully understood and agreed the terms and conditions before submitting.
- Certificates and installation files are created and an email sent to the authorised person with a download link and an installation key. This will normally be actioned within normal SLA response times.
- Once authorised, you will then be able to login to the portal again, download and install the software and then complete the 3rd party application setup.
If you have any problems with the above procedure, then please contact the Scomis Service Desk.