This faq details how we backup the Hosted Application Service
The whole platform is backed up into the Scomis Remote Backup Service giving you a daily backup for 30 days with a further 5 monthly rollups enabling selective restore of your data up to 6 months in the past.
The Scomis Remote Backup Service is hosted with the Hosted Application Service at our headquarters in Great Moor House. As part of the remote backup service functionality the data is mirrored to our second data centre three miles away at county hall automatically.
The backup routines are spread across a number of servers, and roles which means they can’t all run concurrently. In general backups take place between the hours of 8pm and 8am. This should mean that in unlikely event of a problem such as one of your users making an non-recoverable change in Sims you would always be able to restore to the previous nights backup.
Backup of your data can be broadly split into these categories:
- Databases – scripts run as part of the backup routine to:
- Take a backup of all databases attached to each database server using dbattach to give us a Capita supported restore/recovery route in the event of problems
- Place a backup into remote backup
- Leave a copy local to the server of the previous two backups for each database to enable swift recovery in the unlikely event it is required
- Copy these two backups onto a Second Database server to enable swift recovery in the event of hardware failure
- The schools docstorage folder is backed up each day
- The F:\ drive is where your schools shared documents are located and this backed up into each day
Point in time backups:
Anyone with the appropriate system manager permissions has the ability to take an FMS or SIMS backup using the appropriate menu routes in SIMS System Manager / FMS.
This backup will be stored on the database server and available for restore for up to 14 days after which time it is automatically deleted. When taking the backup the process may hang as it can take up to 20 minutes to complete, please be patient because especially in a secondary school the database file can be very large.
You may choose to take a backup in this way before making significant changes to the timetable so that you can restore the database if there is a problem.
Please note: backups taken via this route are not backed up, if you would like a point in time backup to be taken and stored please log a call to request it.
Please also note: point in time backups are not required and taking one will slow down the system especially if it is initiated during a peak use period.