The Volume Licence Agreement of this version of MS Office doesn’t provide a direct download setup as previous versions. The following are the steps needed to download and install this version.
- Log in to your Microsoft Volume Licence portal using the credentials provided when the licence was purchased. Obtain the relevant MAK product code.
- Go to https://www.microsoft.com/download/details.aspx?id=49117 and download the Office Deployment Tool to a temporary folder (e.g. C:\OfficeSetup)
- Double click the Microsoft Office 2019 Deployment tool, this will extract a Setup file in the same folder but you can’t use the setup file on its own.
- We now need to create the XML file containing the school’s MAK, this can either be done manually (copy one from another school, just change the key etc) or Microsoft have created a useful online wizard that will create one for you – go to https://config.office.com and follow the on-screen instructions.
- Save the completed XML (name it something like OfficeConfig.xml) to the same folder as your Setup.exe (C:\Officesetup)
- Download the setup files by going to an elevated Command Prompt (CMD – right click – Run as Administrator – they may need to type the Administrator username & password to open this window)
- Change directory to your setup file location (CD C:\Officesetup) and type
Setup.exe /download OfficeConfig.xml
The setup files should start to download to a folder in that same location.
- Once the download has completed, still in the same Command Prompt window, type
Setup.exe /configuration OfficeConfig.xml
This will install Office and apply the product code, so should automatically activate when Office is started up.
You can now copy that C:\Officesetup folder and take it to another PC to install Office on that.
On other devices, because the setup files are already downloaded and the XML created, all you need to do is copy the setup files to the local C drive and run Setup.exe /configuration OfficeConfig.xml to install it on as many devices as they have licences for.
For more detailed, step-by-step instructions, see
(though these instructions seems to miss out the download stage – try it, if it works fine, if not then just run setup.exe /download Officeconfig.xml to download the setup files then run the /configuration line again)