From time to time it my be necessary to move a schools SIMS and FMS databases to a different server. These are the outline steps that are required for doing this.
- Use DBAttach to detach the schools databases.
- Move them onto the Target Server
- Reattach the Databases
- Update schools Connect.ini, FMSConnect.ini, DatabaseSelector INI and fmsaccsys.vdb files.
- Move the Document Management Server Folder
Update Group Membership
- Open Active Directory
- Locate the old DBServer (simsnet.local/groups/servers) and remove the school group from the “Members”
- Locate the new DB Server and add the school group to the Members
Move Schools Folder
On the Target Server
- Create new School Folder in E:\SIMS
- Remove inheritance from E:\SIMS\Schoolname
- Assign the correct permissions (System:F, SIMSDB99\Administrators:F; AdminAccessDrives:F, ScomisUsers:R, SchoolGroup:R)
- From an elevated command prompt, run Robocopy to Mirror the data.
- robocopy \\SIMSDB99\Schoolname$ E:\SIMS\Schoolname /MIR
- Share the E:\SIMS\Schoolname as Schoolname$
- Assign Share permissions accordingly
- Update \\simsnet.local\dfsroot1$\Scripts3\Schools\Logon\Schools\Schoolname.vbs with new server name
- Test the z account
- Update Document Management Server
- Test a report
- Test FMS
- Setup FMS Reviewer User
- Update any DNS Entries
Reviewed on 01/08/2019